Apostle Islands NL – A lot is happening at Little Sand Bay this summer – construction for a new Visitor Center and a pavilion to house the historic fishing tug, the Twilite. The new Visitor Center will include a covered shelter to allow access to safety, orientation and interpretative exhibits 24/7. There will also be interpretive exhibits in the Twilite pavilion.
Timing – Visitor Center project construction will begin in mid-May and continue through the summer of 2019. The Twilite Shelter project is scheduled to be completed in late summer 2018.
What you need to know –
• The LSB area will be very congested and parking very limited during construction. Please be patient. Updates will be provided on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/apostleislandsnationallakeshore/
• NPS visitor services will be provided in a mobile visitor center, located in the northeast corner of the large parking lot.
• The Town of Russell Campground and boat launch will remain open.
• Kayak launching will be moved to the east side of the boat launch.
• Parking near the boat and kayak launch is short-term, primarily for beach-goers and picnickers.
• Parking for kayakers and other visitors will be limited to the north and east sides of the large parking area just west of the NPS restrooms. Staging for construction materials will be in the south side of the large parking area.
• Take precautions on the beach – large storms have washed up a lot of debris.